Tuesday 15 February 2022

Comic Scene covers SMASH!

I've written a short (2,000 word) article on the history of Odhams' Smash! comic for an upcoming edition of the Comic Scene History of Comics partwork. Each issue covers a different year and this is for the one dedicated to 1966, the year Smash! was launched.

Smash! was my favourite comic as a child and a big inspiration for me to create my own comics. I have a complete run of the comic so I'm pleased to have written a feature about this great weekly.

Looks like the partwork with my article in will be out in April, but you can pre-order it, and other editions, from the fab GetMyComics website at this link...

https://getmycomics.com/ComicScene 

2 comments:

John Muller said...

Good to see your analysis again. I looked forward to buying Smash! every week, later Wham! and even Pow! I enjoyed the British art before they introduced me to Marvel. Adventure and funny simple and funny complex all in one comic.

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, that variety of content was a big plus for me too. I felt it was a shame years later when comics were divided into adventure or humour. Even though for example Scorcher had a humour page and Cor!! had a light adventure strip the content wasn't anything like as balanced as Smash! or Pow! had been. Even Buster, which had a good balance in its early years, went all-humour later.