Sunday 7 March 2021

What a Carry On! (2008)


Back in June 2008 I was commissioned to illustrate a First Day Cover for the Carry On and Hammer Horror theme of British stamps. The stamp issue was available for collectors from Phil Stamp Covers, - a company run by Steve Oliver. Steve's cousin was fellow Buster artist/writer the marvellous Jack Oliver (J Edward Oliver), who contributed First Day Covers himself until his untimely death. 

As I was one of several guest artists, the commission was a one-off but it was a fascinating and enjoyable job to draw. I supplied the black and white art and Steve Oliver coloured it. 

I'm not sure if the company is still running as its website seems to be deleted but you can see some of the other artwork at this site, which shows some pieces that Jack Oliver drew:

https://www.covercollecting.com/official-covers/phil-stamp-covers.html 

 

6 comments:

Manic Man said...

Interesting mix..

I'm debating if that is Frankenstein's Monster, or Oddbod.. or both ^_^ looks good either way.

Lew Stringer said...

It's Oddbod. The only Hammer monsters are Dracula and the Mummy. The rest are from Carry On movies.

Manic Man said...

I though so (though the colour kinda made me a bit unsure, but it's fine anyway)
just I was trying to see if they matched up evenly with the stamps, (even though so are clearly from Carry on Cleo)

Lew Stringer said...

Dunno why he coloured him green but never mind. It stands out.

McSCOTTY said...

Looks brilliant and fun Lew I wasn't aware you did things like this.

Lew Stringer said...

I've very rarely done art for things not related to comics. This was one exception.