Monday 17 October 2022

DICE MANIAC 2 (OINK!, 1987)

On this day in 1987, one of the strips I had in Oink! comic No.39 was Dice Maniac! This was the second (and last) strip I did featuring the character. I can't recall exactly why I only did two. Most likely I felt the gimmick was already wearing thin, or, perhaps as the name was a spoof of Fleetway's Dice Man comic I felt it wouldn't be relevant when that comic suddenly ended. Or perhaps it was because I was very busy in 1987 and just never got around to it.

In retrospect my art was a bit sketchy back then. I'd only been in the business for a few years and was still developing. (Still am!) I was colouring with water colours in those days, not always with the desired effect. As I've mentioned before, I prefer colouring digitally far more and think it suits my style better.

Anyway, there's Dice Maniac's second and final strip above, taken from Phil Bryce's fantastic Oink! Blog where you'll find Phil reviewing the issue it was in. See this link:

https://oink.blog/2022/10/17/oink-39-game-for-a-laugh/ 

If you want to see the first Dice Maniac strip (from Oink! No.22) see this link:

https://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/2022/03/dice-maniac-1987.html 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••


4 comments:

Manic Man said...

^_^ nice

Speaking of Fantasty roleplay.. John Green is currently doing a 40th anniversay of fighting Fantasy with a updated printing (and combo of the two books) of 'You Are the Hero', which you had a Derek the Troll strip in the first one (I don't think you did anything for Part 2.. I haven't gotten around to picking up a copy yet but I've plegded for this one).. on KS.

As it should (doesn't say) include one of your strips, I though i would mention it ^_^

Lew Stringer said...

Yeah, I don't think I did anything for book 2. Can't remember now. I wonder if he plans to include Derek in the new version? Haven't heard anything so I presume not.

Manic Man said...

I would have thought he would as it is meant to reprint the first two.. so.. mm..

Lew Stringer said...

Seems unlikely. I own the rights to Derek so I'd have heard by now if it was being reprinted. Ah well, no matter. I enjoyed contributing to the original printing of the book.