Thursday 17 March 2022

Still available to download: BARMY COMIX No.1

As you know, I'd intended to have Combat Colin No.5 out in print by now but various factors over the past two years have delayed it. As a form of compensation to those of you waiting for the comic, a while back I created Barmy Comix No.1, a one-off 32 page compilation of a few of my creator-owned strips from over the years.

It features Combat Colin, Brickman, Derek the Troll, and Pedantic Stan, the Comics Fan... PLUS a 9 page preview of Combat Colin No.5! So at least you'll have a quarter of the postponed issue of Combat Colin plus a few "best bits" thrown in!

It's free to download but I'd appreciate a small donation of £2 after you've read the comic if you wish. You can PayPal me at:
lew.stringer@BTopenworld.com

Without further ado, here's the link to download Barmy Comix No.1. It might take a few minutes as it's over 170MB (compressing the files tended to downgrade them too much so I avoided that). If you have any problems with it let me know...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y5IH2SDBlpxbws_nqsndaLkZAgh1inzQ/view

 
I'm thinking of doing a second digital issue, reprinting some obscure stuff that hasn't been seen for many years. Would anyone be interested in that or aren't digital comics your thing? Would you pay £2 voluntarily for another download? Let me know below. 
 
 


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi lew, just curious what happened to that goof comic app you used to promote? Didn't you do some brand new Derek the troll strips for it? It looks like you can still subscribe for a annual fee, but is it still working??

Oliver

Anonymous said...

I prefer print editions, but hell ya.. would be very interested and would gladly pay.

Elliesdad said...

In answer to your question Lew, then Yes I would pay a couple of quid.
We can’t expect you to keep giving us your lovely artwork for free.

To be honest, I’m much much more an old-school “paper” comics guy - but I appreciate there will be times when “content” is only available electronically. I only relented to a Kindle when I saw that some of the stuff I wanted to read was only ever going to be available electronically.

And if the £2.00 helps you to keep going with your usual output then I have no problem with that.

Hopefully when things return to a more stable state (I don’t think we’ll ever get back to what we all previously considered as “normal”) then you can get to more Cons and I might even show up if you’re anywhere near Sheffield/South Yorkshire and get you to draw some artwork I have in mind…

All the best,

Geoff

Lew Stringer said...

Hi Oliver, Sadly GOOF! didn't get past issue 10 or 11 so I'm afraid the new Derek the Troll series was never concluded. I will finish the Derek serial sometime and self-publish it as a special though, in print. The first two episodes are in Barmy Comix.

Hi Elliesdad, I'm doing 5 cons this year plus a one day event so hopefully see you somewhere. None in Sheffield or Yorkshire but one in Lancashire coming up that I'll plug after the organiser gets around to promoting it.

qamar said...

In one word! Yes!

Anonymous said...

No.

Pictures on the internet should be free not monetised.

Lew Stringer said...

Anon, images on the Internet are subject to copyright, just as they would be if they were in a print mag. Secondly, this is my job. Don't you get paid for your job?


BTW thank you to the person who sent me £2 for the download today.

Lew Stringer said...

I'm not sure if it's worth doing another digital comic. It's the most visited post on my blog with thousands of downloads but less than 100 paid for it, so I'm not prioritising it at the moment.

Anonymous said...

*I'm not sure if it's worth doing another digital comic. It's the most visited post on my blog with thousands of downloads but less than 100 paid for it, so I'm not prioritising it at the moment.*

It doesn't have to be a voluntary donation Lew. Put it up for sale at whatever you think reasonable, then give potential buyers access to the first 2-4 pages as a taster, then payment required if they want full download... I'm sure you'd make more sales then.

Lew Stringer said...

I'm afraid that putting it on Google Drive doesn't have any methods for payment at source, so I can only ask for it voluntarily. I could use one of the digital platforms but apparently that brings its own complexities these days for selling overseas.