Tuesday 1 March 2022

PUP PARADE (2016)

Click to see the page full size.
 

Back in 2016 The Beano asked me to create a new series of Pup Parade for the comic. I was overjoyed at this because the strip had been a favourite of mine back in the 1960s when Gordon Bell drew it. It was a privelege to write and draw new Pup stories for today's generation. 

The series began in March 2016 as a full page weekly strip until September of that year, and then from December for another run until May 2017 as a half page. My third series, as a mini-strip was in 2019-2020. They're great characters to work on.    

I thought I'd show you one of them today, which is from Beano No.3847, dated 13th August 2016. 

I think it's OK to announce now that Pup Parade will be back in the Beano soon! I've been working on a new series of mini-strips (3 or 4 panels each strip) and they'll begin in the comic shortly. Stay tuned for more news next week!

*********************************

It's nine years to the day since I started this blog back in 2013. Thanks to all of you who drop by and comment, or just read my posts. I don't know if blogs are as popular these days as they used to be but thanks for sticking with it. I still think Blogger is the best way to display artwork compared to other social media accounts but if you do want to follow me elsewhere I'm on Facebook at this link:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/lewstringercartoonist

...and Instagram at this link:

https://www.instagram.com/lew.stringer 

...and also Twitter at this link:

https://twitter.com/lewstringer 

 

11 comments:

Peter Gray said...

will enjoy seeing them again...good news...love the pups too...think its the way they walk on there hindlegs..with the tricky balance of dog and human...

Manic Man said...

they say blogs are dying out as people are getting.. mm.. I would say dumber but I think the term is more "prefering short form media" but I still see and read a number of blogs. Youtube is also ment to be slowly dying out for the same reason..

Though personally, I don't understand it.. I do get annoied if i need to find a tutorial or guide for something and people have ONLY done it as a video.. Videos can be good at times but don't just do it as a video ¬_¬..

but that is going a bit off topic ^_^ Nice strip and good you'll back back in the Beano for a bit.

PhilEdBoyce said...

Well I certainly hope blogs are still popular ;) But yeah I know what you mean, it can sometimes feel people see the internet as social media sites and that's it. Great news to see Pup Parade back and that you've got another regular Beano gig, Lew!

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks folks. I hope I have a long run this time.

Regarding blogs, what I've found is that even when posting a link on Facebook, some people won't follow that link and will ask questions that the blog post actually answers! I think a lot of people just want headlines, like Manic said above. It's a shame because they're depriving themselves of information.

Kal said...

Great news! One of my (and my daughter's) favourite strips of yours in the Beano.

The Blog of Curious Callum said...

Congrats on getting back to The Beano!

I always enjoy seeing your work!

from a fan

Lew Stringer said...

Thank you Kal and Callum!

Joe Middleton said...

Would it be possible to create a collected volume of some of your kids comic strips? I no longer read the Beano but would be interested in reading a collection of your Beano strips if you could do it though I realise there would be copyright issues unless DC Thomson were actively involved but maybe they would see potential in it? I love Combat Colin and Brickman btw. Would also like to see your Dr Who strips collected too.

Lew Stringer said...

D.C. Thomson are very protective of their copyright so it wouldn't be possible for me to do it unfortunately. I can't ever see them wanting to do it, as publishing collections of specific artists isn't something they do (with the exception of the Dudley Watkins book a while ago, but he's a legend so that was understandable).

As for The Daft Dimension... maybe one day. I'm not sure, but the guy who did the strip that preceded it published a collection of his material so maybe I could.

Peter Gray said...

love a collection of the Daft Dimension...they are very good..

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Peter. Sadly the more I think about it the less likely I think it'll happen. Not sure I could publish it (and a full colour book would be expensive) and I can't imagine Panini publishing it.