Sunday 20 March 2022

Close Encounters in The Kirknewton Story!

One of the comics projects I did recently will soon be published so I think it's OK to give it a plug now. The Kirknewton Story is a 56 page comic book that reveals various historical anecdotes about the Scottish village of Kirknewton. Editor Tony Foster commissioned me to draw a two page strip called Close Encounters written by Colin Maxwell, telling the story of two local guys who had a UFO experience in the 1990s! 

I really enjoyed illustrating the strip. I also lettered it and instead of hand lettering straight onto the page as I usually do, this time I used computer fonts I'd created based on my lettering. I think it turned out well so I'll use this method again for some other work coming up. (Although I'll generally still hand letter my strips for things like The Daft Dimension and The Dandy annuals.)

The Kirknewton Story also features strips by Staz Johnson, Martin Baines, Andrew Sawyer, Kev Sutherland, Tanya Roberts, Sarah Millman, Gary Erskine and more, plus a fabulous cover by Ian Kennedy, which was sadly one of his last paintings before he recently passed away. As you may have noticed, I based the UFO design in my strip on Ian's version on the cover for consistency.

The comic will be distributed free to every house in Kirknewton but if you don't live in that area and want a copy there's more info at John Freeman's Down the Tubes blog at this link:

https://downthetubes.net/the-kirknewton-story-comes-to-comics-celebrating-the-history-of-a-scottish-village/


No comments: