Saturday 16 October 2021

Secrets of the Lewniverse!

From The77 Annual (2021).

Here's an exclusive reveal for you. In the upcoming The77 Annual, I've done a new two page Sgt.Shouty story, The Origin of Dr.Plank, which I hope today's readers will enjoy...

...and as a special in-joke for those of you who have followed my work for years, it ties into one of my old strips from the 1980s! 

Without giving away any spoliers as to how or why it happens, the destruction of Earth took place in my Rock Solid, Space Hero series in Swiftsure comic back in 1985, - and now we'll see it from another perspective in Sgt.Shouty for The77 Annual here in 2021.

From SWIFTSURE No.4 (1985)

I've always liked to connect my strips into one universe, or Lewniverse, whenever I can. Not in a major way that requires people to buy every comic, but just in subtle ways such as the fictional town of Skegpool cropping up in various strips, or when Combat Colin appeared in my Brickman series in Image Comics' Elephantmen. Obviously I can't do it with strips I don't own so you'll never see any Beano characters I've worked on turn up in Derek the Troll

This Rock Solid / Sgt.Shouty connection is only a minor crossover, and Rock Solid himself won't appear in Sgt.Shouty because of what happened to him back in his own series, but as I was doing another series set in the far future it occurred to me to keep in in the same universe. 

(and if you DID want to read those old Rock Solid stories they're all reprinted in the Derek the Troll comic I've published. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/graphite47/m.html?item=203554298786

As for The77 Annual, the Kickstarter campaign ends tomorrow (Sunday 17th October) so get in quick if you want to order the exclusive hardback version of the book. Details at this link...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the77comic/the77-comic-annual-number-1 

**********************

 

No comments: