Wednesday 6 October 2021

MONSTER FUN is back on the shelves!

It's been absent from shops for decades but today Monster Fun returned to the shelves! The Monster Fun Halloween Special is out now in WH Smith, all good newsagents and comic shops. 52 pages of all new material for £4.99. It will then return as a regular bi-monthly comic from April 2022.

It looks fantastic and I'm pleased to be in there with writer Kek-W as we revive Sixties strip Wiz War for a one-off story. Sadly it appears I won't be in the ongoing comic but I wish the team all the best for its future.

You can also order it directly from the publisher at this link: https://shop.treasuryofbritishcomics.com/catalogue/RCS2152P
 
 
**************************

 

5 comments:

David said...

I bought this for my Niece and she really enjoyed it (I may have had a quick read myself before I gave it her!) I do wonder why WHSmiths store it in the adult comics section rather than alongside The Beano and Phoenix which I think is the target audience.

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, it should definitely be next to the Beano and other comics for 8 to 12 year olds. Smiths make some odd decisions sometimes. My local branch even puts The Phoenix on the top shelf!

I think part of the reason is the young staff in Smiths have never grown up on these sort of comics. It's been pre-school or adult comics in their experience Apart from the Beano, which they do shelve correctly, they don't realise you can have a middle ground of comics for 8 to 12 year olds.

Yes, they're probably sent memos to tell them where to place them but in my experience such things are forgotten or not read properly by them.

It may also depend on the branch manager. If they deem comics unsuitable for children they'll top-shelve them or hide them behind the counter.

David said...

I'll mention it next time I'm in the store. It's a really well made comic with nods to nostalgia but definitely aimed at a modern young audience. I'd like to see it do well when it goes bi-monthly next year.

Anonymous said...

Lew,
was searching for Monster Fun in my local WH Smith, eventually located 5 copies hidden behind the Beano comic!

Lew Stringer said...

When the Buster specials came out in recent years I saw them beside the Beano etc but maybe the word "Monster" makes staff think it's for adults? I dunno. Trying to second guess Smiths is impossible.

Glad you found it in the right section, even though it was hidden!