Monday 18 October 2021

Busy month

We all have regrets in life and there are times in this business even after 40 years when we lose out, but you just have to climb back on that metaphorical horse and ride on elsewhere. 

This whole pandemic, and life in general, has been getting on top of me recently (as it has with many of us) but it's time to appreciate what I do have and focus on that. I'm going to be very busy over the next few weeks catching up with deadlines and getting work finished off for the 2023 annuals and other things. 

Now, it's at this point where people usually say "Glad you're busy!" and assume I'm doing great. Well, not so great these days. I'm very busy at the moment, but by December I don't know what I'll be doing. Freelancing isn't like being on a regular salary, and a lot of us aren't even earning minimum wage these days. Everything I'm earning right now will be quickly spent on bills and basics, so I'm hoping something else will come along by the end of the year. It'd be nice to have more regular work to survive through 2022 but every year gets harder so time will tell.

The comics industry in general is doing well these days but there are a lot of new creators around now and this is their time in the spotlight. So it goes and that's only right.

People have asked if I do commissions, and, yes, I hope to fit some in if I can, but not this month as I need to catch up on current work. I'll let you know when I'm free to do a few. 

Do I do workshops? No. Seems that more creators are expected to be confident performers and teachers these days but that's not me I'm afraid. I'm a comics creator not a showman.

Anyway, this is just to let you know that I might not be blogging much this month as I'll be too busy at the drawing board. I've probably been more open than I should in this post but I always like to go for straight talking instead of being phoney.

I'll do some posts about anything new I have published when it's out. I hope you're all doing OK in these increasingly difficult times and I appreciate you giving up some of your time to follow this blog.


8 comments:

Mj said...

Thanks for the update, enjoying your stuff as usual!

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks MJ.

PhilEdBoyce said...

I've always appreciated your honesty on your blog Lew, showing the real life of a cartoonist. It's easy sometimes for us readers to assume everything is as carefree as your cartoons. I am obviously glad you're busy at the moment but I do want to add that I really hope things pick up for you afterwards too, the world needs more from the Lewniverse.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Phil. That's really nice of you.

Gareth said...

Never mind Lew at least you got Monster Fun next year yes? Can't wait!

Lew Stringer said...

Unfortunately not, Gareth.

Gareth said...

In that case lets hope they do another Buster one or maybe you could do funnies for Regened?

Lew Stringer said...

I don't think Regened is intended for short funnies. Haven't heard of any plans for more Buster specials. Even so, it's not a given I'd be invited to contribute. That's not how it works. Freelancers don't decide on what content is used in comics.