Friday 29 October 2021

Reach for Monster Fun!

A reminder that the Monster Fun Halloween Spooktacular is still on sale and would be perfect reading material this weekend. You might need to search for it in WH Smiths though because some branches have inexplicably put it on the top shelf alongside 2000AD and Viz

To clarify, although it can be enjoyed by young and old, the target audience for Monster Fun is children, and it should be alongside Beano, Toxic, Horrible Histories and the other children's comics and magazines. 

This isn't the first time that Smiths have taken it upon themselves to decide comics aren't suitable for young children. It dates back to 1986 when they moved Oink! away from the children's section. 

Bearing in mind that publishers pay a lot of money for shelf positioning it's a problem that needs addressing, but it's impossible for publishers to check every branch to see if Smiths are honouring their agreement. 

Anyway, grab a copy of Monster Fun and you'll see it is indeed packed with fun. 52 pages of it in fact, including the two page Wiz War strip that Kek-W and I did. 

Monster Fun becomes a bimonthly comic next April and although I unfortunately haven't been invited back next year I wish it well and hope it succeeds.

https://monsterfun.co.uk/

*****************************************

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why anyone who has any involvement in any magazines simply moves stuff around when they visit a store. I was flabbergasted years ago when I saw the woman putting out the Christmas gift books in Smiths following a plan based on what the publishers had paid.

SID said...

Thanks,Lew.

It is definitely a good read for young and old. So much so that I have subscribed to new bi-monthly coming out next year.

PS Nostalgia helped too.

Lew Stringer said...

I do move a few copies to the right section, Anon, but as you can see there were far too many to do it covertly. I used to explain to the staff if comics were in the wrong place but they either got arrogant or didn't believe me so I don't bother now. It's up to the publishers really but as I said it's impossible for them to monitor every branch.