Saturday 11 September 2021

MONSTER FUN Returns... on October 6th!

As you'll have seen from the advert (above) that appears in the latest issue of 2000AD, the publication date for the new Monster Fun Halloween Spooktacular is now October 6th, a couple of weeks later than originally announced. Nevertheless, it's coming! 

The 52 page special will feature new stories with classic characters, - and I haven't seen it myself yet so I'm not entirely sure what's in it. (I do know that Simon Furman has written a new Leopoard of Lime Street story though, and that Keith Richardson and Tom Paterson are bringing us a new character, Gah! Tom is also doing a new Sweeny Toddler story!)

My contribution is a collaboration with the writer Kek-W as we revive Wiz War, a strip that originally appeared in Pow! back in 1968 (and soon moved to Smash! when the comics merged). Originally drawn by Mike Brown, I've tried to capture the essence of his style with my new version. For added authenticity I scanned and digitally remastered the 1960s Wiz War logo because it was so good! 

Drawing another classic Power Comics strip is a dream come true. I previously drew Bad Penny as part of the gang in the recent Cor!! Buster specials but Wiz War is a full two page strip bringing back those feuding sorcerers and I had a great time working from Kek-W's script! 

Don't forget, - 6th October is the date for Monster Fun Halloween Spooktacular, available from WH Smith, selected newsagents, and every comic shop that's ordered copies. It'll also be available to buy directly from Rebellion and I'll add the link as soon as it goes live. 

******************************************


6 comments:

Sheffield Dave 8543gg76 said...

The comic sounds like it'll be unmissable BUT I don't like the Monster Fun logo AT ALL. It doesn't even stand out very well and that's the ONE requirement that logos must have!

Lew Stringer said...

I think it'll look effective once we see it in print. Tom's artwork certainly stands out anyway!

McSCOTTY said...

Looking forward to this comic. I was to old for Monster Fun ( think I was about 16/17) but looking forward to seeing some of the old characters. I like the logo

Lew Stringer said...

Although I was about 16 myself I had the whole run, but then threw them all out except for issue 1 when I left school. Never regretted it though as I didn't have any sentimental attachment to the IPc comics. The new special will feature other characters too, not all from the old MF.

Kal said...

Being 7 when it launched, I was pretty much the target audience for Monster Fun. It was the first IPC title that I fell in love with and the first title from any company that I'd bought every issue of.

Of course, they never stayed intact. Young me loved all the posters, pull outs and games, so those buggers got pulled apart and chopped up with such gleeful abandon that middle-aged me cringes.

Even as a kid, though, I was confused as to why Reg Parlett (though I didn't know his name at the time) never worked on it. His horror-themed strips appeared in every other IPC humour title of the day, but never showed up in the comic they'd have been perfect for.

Lew Stringer said...

Interesting. Perhaps he was just too busy on other comics or they wanted to see how it'd fare without him. Perhaps it would have survived longer if he had been part of it?