Thursday 9 September 2021

Cosmic Comics revisited!

A couple of years ago Hibernia Comics published a fine collection of Kevin O'Neill's early IPC strips under the name Cosmic Comics. It proved to be very successful, and now it's been reprinted... and expanded, thanks to Kevin himself.

In the revised Cosmic Comics, the artist has created a new 28 page section called Kev's Own which is a collection of Kevin O’Neill’s early covers, samples and unpublished work for magazines like Interplanetary News and Legend Horror Classics, as well as Titan books cover designs and the never-before-reprinted ‘7 Wonders of the Galaxy’ series from 2000 AD and more!

Also included in  ‘Kev's Own’ is commentary by Kevin on the art included and his early career.

With the addition of the new 28 page section, Cosmic Comics now runs to 96 pages. A worthwhile addition to any bookshelf.

Why am I plugging this on a blog that's usually about my own work? Well, the book includes the strip The Truth About Santa that I scripted and Kev illustrated for The Oink! Book back in the 1980s. That aside, the book is well worth shouting about anyway because it's a brilliant collection of material by one of the comics greats!

There are only a limited number of these books available so hurry if you want one (and who wouldn't?) to this page to order your copy:

http://www.comicsy.co.uk/hibernia/ 

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everything is about selling things on your site. Why not talk about the old comics like you used to before it gor commercialized? Something on Lion comic wud be good.

Lew Stringer said...

I'm sorry you're not enjoying the blog. As this is about the work I have in print I presume people would like to know where to buy them. I will make a point of writing about my work in general though, looking at my past strips from time to time which I hope you'll like. Not Lion though, as I never worked on that. It ended when I was still at school!

Anonymous said...

You cud still talk about it. Lion. The Valiant as well please.

Gareth said...

Why aren't Rebellion publishing this? There must be a larger demand for Mr.O'Neill's work to warrant a proper book instead of this small press zine?

Lew Stringer said...

It would have been nice to have seen it in hardback on the shelves of Waterstones I must admit, but David (of Hibernia Books) has done a great job on this, easily on a par with any of the Rebellion books.

Anon, you may be thinking of my old blog, 'Blimey!'. I stopped updating that nearly two years ago. This blog is about my own work, in the way that other artists have blogs to promote their work. I never worked for Lion or Valiant so doing articles about them here would be out of place. Hope that clears it up.

PhilEdBoyce said...

Anonymous, I think you're referring to Lew's other blog 'Blimey', which has now stopped but has thousands of posts to catch up on. This is all about Lew's work, past and present and, yes, what is available to buy.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Phil. Yes, I think he's mixed up the two blogs.