Wednesday 25 August 2021

Rambling and Recharging


Just a few thoughts....

Like many of us, I've found the last 18 months quite a struggle at times. I've been fortunate so far not to have contracted COVID but the whole situation, and the solitude, makes one weary and reflective. It doesn't help that the irresponsibly named "Freedom Day" has caused some to think that the virus has gone, encouraging them to abandon masks and social distancing even with thousands still in hospital. I know of friends who have been very ill with the virus even after being vaccinated. Please have the vaccine though. It could still save your life, and prevent you spreading the virus to others. COVID is very real, and it's out there. Just respect people's personal space please. It's not difficult, and it's not an assault on your human rights to wear a mask on a train.

I've decided that, apart from one day at the Meanwhile festival next month (which is outdoors and relatively local), I won't be attending comic cons for the forseeable future. I'm confident that the organisers will make the venues safe but I'm not so confident about travelling on packed trains or staying in hotels that may not be deep cleaned. Sorry if that makes me "scared" in some people's opinions. I'm just being realistic. I'm 62 and I'd like to live another few years at least.

I'm quite busy at the moment although getting back into a creative routine hasn't been easy. Feeling frustrated the other day I took myself a short walk... that ended up as a two hour trek into the local countryside. I felt guilty to be away from the drawing board but the fresh air did help recharge me. I've since written a bunch of scripts for the annuals etc and will be cracking on with drawing them this week and catching up with other drawing jobs too.

Being self-employed it's easy to fall into the trap of spending all day working, but it becomes counter-productive if not balanced out with exercise and other stimulation. Like many of us in creative professions I feel guilty if I'm having a break, but we need to get away to recharge. I won't be having a holiday again this year unfortunately (who can afford to, after earning less during lockdown?) but there are some nice green areas nearby I can take myself off to for a walk. I thought I'd share a few photos with you of my recent walk and I hope they help and inspire you too. Stay safe!

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
All photos in this post ©Copyright 2021 Lew Stringer. 

6 comments:

Bruce Laing said...

I recently made the decision to get the vaccination (I was always going to get the jab, but trying to book for an appointment to get the first one had been hampered by everyone booking online.)

I finally got to booking my appointment for next Wednesday at lunchtime, and so I don't have problems in booking for my second, I'll ask if I can make my second booking on the day.

Checking the register for my neck of the woods, it seems to be booked out until the end of September.

Manic Man said...

agree with alot of that. I'm fully (as much as can be now) vaccinated, got it not the earliest but earlier then most people in my age group due to health and due to.... other health issues, I really don't get on well with large amounts of people pushing past me at the best of times.. but happening the past couple of years gets almost unbearable... we still have a way to go but people like to think it's just some arbitrary 'guideline' which is best to ignore ¬_¬

Lew Stringer said...

The messages from the government have been very confusing, full of Johnson's usual blustering and waffle. (He really is the poorest orator that we've seen as a Prime Minister! What do they teach them at public school?) Add to that how many people don't pay proper attention to the news and the messages haven't sunk it. I see less and less people masked / social distancing every time I go shopping. An *insane* decision considering the vaccine is now starting to wear off for those of us who had the jab earlier in the year. I'll get a booster when offered, but it's looking like people might need two or three jabs every year.

With thousands of new admissions to hospital every day, we need social distancing rules brought back *now*!

Manic Man said...

Really, it doesn't matter what the goverment say.. the average person doesn't, and never has, given a damn about anyone but themselves.. and since the start of this people have been giving rubbish reasons for why they can't medical wear a mask.. which is rubbish.. ignoring the simple facts about molecule sizes and materials, due to humidity and people with major breathing problems (my mum has quite bad breathing problems BUT for the most part, after 'training' to get used to it, a mask isn't too bad for a short period as long as she avoids stuff that leads to heavy breathing) if you can't wear a mask, you SHOULD wear a visor. They don't cost much but too many places can't be arsed to sell them.. they aren't quite as good but they are pretty good.. and have no problem for people that have issues breathing.. there is NO EXCUSE to have never worn a mask (or, and this is the ultimate stupidity of people) wearing a mask but leaving your nose exposed.. I can't remember at what age I learnt that your nose and mouth are connected and you can breath either through your nose or your mouth but I'm pretty sure it was before I could even walk or talk... yet that amount of people that haven't even learnt that yet... amazing..

two or three jabs a year is possible, even more so due to places like the USA loving to spread and promote strains ¬_¬ which isn't a major thing for me.. it took some time to get used to needles, i was never good with being stabbed myself, but after I had to have a whole battery of tests and a fair bit of blood taken (including almost passing out from going too faint the one time) I've gotten quite use to them.. I already have to have an annual flu jab and seam to get blood taken at least once a year, so a couple of extra things hardly makes much difference.. wonder if they can get it in tablet form in the end.. add that to my pile i have to sort out each week ¬_¬

The Blog of Curious Callum said...

Yes, this year and a half of COVID pandemic troubles have really been some trying times, haven't they? But still, glad to hear you haven't run into the virus the whole time and it's important to keep your mind refreshed, whether with walks in non-busy places like the countryside or just generally playing it safe and staying indoors. Even as someone who's fully vaxxed (had my first shot in March and my second in May), I still try to be careful and wear a mask shopping in a busy urban area.

On a side note, nice to see you've scripted some Biffo and Postman Prat stories for next year's Beano and Dandy annuals. Enjoyed this year's books and looking forward to the next ones...

Until then, stay safe. :)

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, I'll have several Biffo and Prat mini-strips in the 2023 annuals. I'm drawing them as well. Speaking of which I'd better get cracking! Stay safe. Good to hear you wear a mask in busy areas. It's the best way, and no inconvenience.