Monday 28 December 2020

Well, that was 2020 then

Usually when I post these yearly retrospectives my photo compilations are full of happy scenes at the various comic conventions I've attended over the past 12 months. Not so this year of course. I've really missed travelling all over the country to see old friends and meet new people. Usually we'd all gain new friends through our travels so it's strange to have our lives so suddenly diminished. So this year's photos are mainly from walks within a two mile radius.

The photos are all in chronological order, starting with New Year's Eve last year. The last time I had a big night out with a group of friends. I saw a few others before the lockdown but then life changed for everyone of course. I must admit I've struggled at times this year without any social life or human interaction. But any self-pity has been short lived because I know my solitude is a luxury compared to the hardships that key workers amongst you deal with every single day. Plus those of you who have lost loved ones through this virus or suffered / are suffering with it yourselves.

I'm grateful to good friends who I have been able to briefly meet up with this year (socially distancing of course) and to those of you I've chatted with in video calls, messages, and phone calls. It's really been a lifeline and I don't know what mental state I'd be in by now without social media or those short meet ups. Even just scrolling through my news feed and seeing artwork from fellow comics folk, music videos, or updates about your lives has been essential to getting through each day, so thanks for being there!

Thankfully, I've also been able to keep busy working, although the pandemic did impact on it somewhat, and (like many of us) I also struggled with a lack of motivation, but thank you to Doctor Who Magazine, The Beano, Rebellion, and The77 for the work you've been able to put my way.

New Year feels very flat this time because it's going to be pretty much the same as this for most of us for quite some time yet, but more than ever I wish you all good health, happiness, and prosperity for 2021.
 

6 comments:

Tony Howson said...

This blog has been part of my routine for preserving some normality, so I appreciate the work you’ve put into it this year. All the best for 2021.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Tony. That means a lot. Best wishes to you for 2021.

Mj said...

I've enjoyed both your blogs through this year, so thanks from me for the entertainment and let's hope for a better next year

PhilEdBoyce said...

Happy New Year Lew! It's been a crazy year, let's hope for some stability in 2021 both for the world at large and for our work lives. I just want to echo the comments made here already, and hope that the next 12 months bring more cheer and opportunities for you, mate.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Phil, and I'm wishing you a very Happy 2021 too, with brighter times ahead.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanls Mj. Wishing you all the best for '21.