Monday 6 March 2023

Original art from Viz, Buster, and Marvel in this week's auction

 

I've put a few more pages of my original art up for sale on eBay. This week there's a Tom Thug's Skooldayz page from Buster (1989) with a Christmassy theme...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204264922535?hash=item2f8f235da7:g:s30AAOSwjiZkBLT9



A Captain Wally page from Marvel UK's Spider-Man Comic (1985). This is one of my earliest characters. A suburban superhero who lives with his parents...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204264925752?hash=item2f8f236a38:g:FUUAAOSwpBZkBLbA

 

...and a page from Viz comic (2001). Tommy's Tin Can Telephone was a one-off character I created for Viz and this page is in full colour (water colours)... 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204264930487?hash=item2f8f237cb7:g:L6UAAOSwt1lkBLgL

 

Auctions end on Sunday 12th February. Good luck with your bids!  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?item=203554298786&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562&_ssn=graphite47

*************************

4 comments:

Mike Keyton said...

Hi Lew. A question if I may. I have a self published local and family history book coming out later this year. In it is a chapter on British comics. Could you guide me as to whether anything published over 70 years ago is out of copyright and/or who to approach if I wanted a picture of the Topper or Beezer? I contacted the Eagle but they wanted £150, which is well beyond my budget. Some guidance would be most appreciated

Lew Stringer said...

Hi Mike, DC Thomson still own the rights to Topper and Beezer so you'd be best contacting them.

Usually, in the UK, copyright lasts until 75 years after the death of the author, but in the case of companies such as DC Thomson they'll have renewed the work. Also, as Topper and Beezer were still being published until the 1990s the characters will still be owned by them anyway.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your book.

Mike Keyton said...

Lew, thank you very much for the clarification (I hope this thank you is not being duplicated, it keeps disappearing every time I post it)😀

Lew Stringer said...

Hi Mike, Comments don't appear until I log on to approve them as I had some trolls and deluded troublemakers trying to post rubbish. So once you submit a comment it's just waiting in my blog's inbox until I have time to look at it so don't worry. It's not lost. :)