Thursday 29 December 2022

Christmas at SUPER SCHOOL (Beano, 2008)

Back in 2008 I was drawing a regular full page for The Beano about a classroom of junior superheroes. Super School was the title, and most scripts were written by Iain McLaughlin as I recall. 

Here's the Christmas one that appeared in The Beano No.3462, dated December 13th 2008. Apologies for not posting it here before Christmas Day but I couldn't find this issue amongst my stuff until now!  

I designed a special seasonal logo for this one in the traditional Christmas comic style. The colouring for the page was done in-house by the Beano staff. (These days almost all the strips in Beano are coloured by the artists themselves, or in Nigel Parkinson's case, by his own superb colourist Nika Nartova.) 

Super School was a fun strip to work on and I enjoyed it very much. Nothing last forever in this business unfortunately and the characters are long gone now, but I hope you like seeing this festive episode. 

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••


3 comments:

James Spiring said...

Too bad this strip didn't last long enough for Bananagirl (who wasn't in this example but was added later) to meet Bananaman, who of course was still a Dandy character at the time. Eric's never acknowledged having a cousin who shares his powers.

Anonymous said...

I remember this strip. Great fun!

Lew Stringer said...

I think Bananagirl's been forgotten about now, James. There's a different set of readers buying the Beano now than there was 14 years ago so I can't see her returning.

Thanks Anon!