Friday 30 December 2022

Annual fun

Although both the Dandy and Beano Annuals were published in August I know a lot of you save them until Christmas, or give them to your kids at presents, so I hope you've received them by now. For The Dandy Annual 2023 I wrote and drew Keyhole Kate and Postman Prat, and for Beano Annual 2023 I wrote/drew Biffo the Bear.

I thought you might like to see part of one of the Biffo strips comparing my rough pencil sketches to my finished artwork (above). I usually draw "traditionally" (pencil and ink on paper) but I did this one digitally with Clip Studio Paint and then coloured it in Photoshop. I still prefer the traditional method though so will continue using paper and ink for the forseeable future (but coloured in Photoshop as per my usual practice). 

For next year's annuals (the ones cover dated 2024) I wasn't asked to do anything for the Beano one unfortunately but for The Dandy Annual 2024 I was commissioned to script and draw four full page strips bringing back a couple of old characters. Kid Cops are returning! Dandytown's infant police officers Nick and Bobby first appeared in The Dandy in 2010 and have popped up a few times in the annual since but it's been a few years. The pages were drawn months ago but it's a bit too early to show any previews just yet. Here's the logo for one of the pages though (yes, it'll be a snow-themed story)...

It made a nice change to revisit these two characters. The style I was using at the time I created their look in 2010 was slightly different to my usual style so I had to adjust a little but I was pleased with how they turned out. The Dandy Annual 2024 will be out in August 2023 so you'll have a long wait yet, but I thought you might appreciate this snippet of advance news. 

**************************************************

8 comments:

James Spiring said...

Sad to say I'm not surprised you're not in next year's Beano Annual considering you're not currently in the weekly comic either. But I'm glad to see you're still going to be in the Dandy one (no Kate or Prat alongside the Kid Cops?) - long may that continue - though they are starting to use Beano elements too much - all of this year's Cuddles and Dimples strips co-starred Ivy the Terrible, who isn't in the Beano Annual at all because she's no longer in the comic - but that's no reason not to use her, after all you did Biffo the Bear, another defunct character, for the 2023 book - it would be nice if they can get you to do some Ivy mini-strips for the 2025 Beano Annual.

Lew Stringer said...

No Keyhole Kate or Postman Prat for the 2024 annual I'm afraid. I guess they wanted a change.

Kal said...

No Keyhole Kate‽ Time to riot.

Really like your version of Biffo. Reminds me of Burgon's version a little, and that's the first one I ever enjoyed.

Lew Stringer said...

The annuals for 2024 are all completed now and at the printers but perhaps she'll be back in 2025 but I've no idea yet. Glad you liked my Biffo strips.

Peter Gray said...

Glad you got the 3 pages in the Dandy annual...and hope the Beano will change there mind...glad you get the odd puzzle pages now and again...But all strange to me...

Lew Stringer said...

Four pages in the annual. Too late to be in the next Beano Annual now but it'd be nice to have a regular strip in the weekly again. Perhaps one day.

Neil Rollings said...

You used to be in every comic I read when I was young. Why aren't The Beano, Monster Fun, and Phoenix signing you up? I simply don't understand??

Lew Stringer said...

I'm doing some work for The Dandy Annual but, yeah, your guess is as good as mine.