Saturday 20 November 2021

The Suburban Satanists

Between 1997 and 2007 I produced a regular comic strip for Herman Hedning comic, published only in Sweden, Norway, and Finland. The strip I created was The Suburban Satanists, just your ordinary suburban family who just happen to worship the devil.

This is an example of the type of humour involved. I really enjoyed doing the strip but kind of ran out of steam with it after ten years. However, there are a lot of strips and I own the rights so one of these years I’ll collect some of them and publish them for the UK market.

There’s a lot of work to do on them though as I need to dig out my old scripts and re-letter every strip into English, plus colour them all. Maybe next year!

The strip was popular but it received some complaints from Christians for being blasphemous and also from Satanists for not being an accurate portrayal of Satanism! Ya can't please everyone!

5 comments:

Elliesdad said...

Excellent news Lew. Count me in for a copy when it’s eventually available.
Cheers,
Geoff

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Geoff. I've been promising to do it for ages but never found the time. Most of my original scans were lost on an old Mac so I'd have to re-scan a lot of pages which will take time.

Manic Man said...

A Norwegian comic creator friend of mine said in the past they remember the strip and liked it ^_^ and I've liked what i've seen

Tony Howson said...

Oh yes, this is something I've wanted to see for years. Definitely buying a copy or two when its released.

I appreciate you're busy. Have you considered crowd funding to subsidise the scanning time ? I realise that's not for everyone but it might help.

Lew Stringer said...

Although I've supported many Kickstarters I'm not keen on doing crowdfunding for my own projects. If I suddenly had more mainstream work I'd have to put self publishing on hold again and I feel it wouldn't be fair to people pledging money. I'd rather do it in my own time really.

Basically I'd forgotten all about the strip until I found this illo on an old disc the other day. Now it's reminded me that I should do a collection, but Combat Colin No.5 should take priority as people have waited a long time for that. If funds improve I'll do CC 5 next year and the SubS after it.