Thursday 29 April 2021

The Future of Football (1990s)

Here's some old artwork of mine that I found today. I'm not sure if it was ever published, or which comic it appeared in if it was used. As there's a note at the top to fax it to Graham Hey I think it's a fair bet it was intended for either Sweet F.A. or C'Mon Ref! as he was the editor of both of those football comics. I was a regular contributor to them but I don't know if these strips were used or not. I'm guessing they probably were, as Graham was a good editor and always keen to give me plenty of work.

Sweet F.A. and C'Mon Ref! were comics similar to Viz, but with an all-football theme and (slightly) less bad language so that they could be sold to younger readers as well as adults. That said, shops still put them on the top shelf, although some did stock them alongside the football magazines which is where they should have been. 

When I have time, I'll dig out my old issues and show a few pages here. 

By the way; for those who have complained the images on this blog are too small, I'm guessing you're using a smartphone? Click / tap on the images and they'll open up at a larger size where you can read them more clearly.

***********************

No comments: