Monday 7 November 2022

What was... MONOCOMIX? (1978)

What was Monocomix? The short answer is it was something of mine I'd totally forgotten about until I found this cover artwork yesterday. 

Monocomix was going to be the title of my first self-published comic way back in Autumn 1978. (Titled Monocomix because it was all black and white.) Yes, it was crudely drawn but I had a lot to learn (and still do). Apparently it was going to be a one-off according to the "First (and Last) Issue" cover blurb I put on it. For reasons that escape me now I had a rethink at the last minute and came up with a new cover, and a new title, publishing it as After Image in late 1978. The contents remained the same. Only the cover was changed. 

Perhaps I felt that the name After Image was more suited to its status as a fanzine, because from issue 2 it featured more articles so it was not longer "comix"? After 44 years I can't remember, and I can't go back and ask my 19 year old self so perhaps we'll never know. Pity, because I kind of prefer the title Monocomix now. Perhaps I'll use it on something new one day.

Anyway, if you'd like to see what After Image was all about you can check out this old blog post here:

https://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/2018/11/after-image-1978.html

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••


3 comments:

Manic Man said...

I thought when you showed the cover that something looked familar.. Because of the War droid bit. ^_^ its good to keep old stuff, just to see how you have advanced over the years

David Baillie said...

Monocomix is a great title, Lew!

Lew Stringer said...

I'm sure someone else must have used it by now but I couldn't find anything.