Sunday 24 July 2022

The Dreaded Lurghi

As some of you know, two weeks ago I tested positive for COVID. That's the LFT photo above, with that grim dark line giving no doubt that I was positive. Symptoms always vary from person to person of course. First I had a really sore throat and lost my voice (in addition to feeling unwell), then after a few days my voice returned but I lost my senses of smell and taste and felt totally exhausted.

Now, the positive line has virtually vanished at last but I'm still without those two senses, have a cough, and feel woozy and get tired easily. I'll recover eventually no doubt, and I've fared better than many, but just wanted to say that Covid can definitely get a grip on the system. Yes, it is mild for some, but it shouldn't be dismissed as harmless for everyone.

Anyway, my apologies for not posting much about current work recently. I haven't actually done any drawing or scripting for two weeks as I didn't feel well enough to concentrate on it properly or achieve a standard that was satisfactory. It still feels like my antibodies are battling the Covid virus like a scene from Georgie's Germs in Wham! comic. (See my version of that below. The first drawing I've done in a fortnight.) That also means I haven't earned anything for a fortnight either of course. (No sick pay for the self employed.) I feel a little bit brighter today but it comes and goes so I'll focus on what I can this week and hopefully get back in the game!

Best wishes and good thoughts to others out there fighting this annoying virus. 



11 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Hope you recover fully soon Lew. I lost my sense of smell during the first phase of COVID ( along with joint pain) and my sense of smell eventually came back after about 10 weeks so it will return.

Manic Man said...

good news its getting better.
people tend to forget that even if due to vaccination and time, less virus' can become less serious (aka, less fatal for the majority), it doesn't mean it's harmless and also.. we are STILL IN A GOBAL PANDEMIC (sorry for the caps but.. alot of people seam to be forgetting that fact.. thus the current rise).

I'm in an at risk group, I know friends and family that have gotten it, some have died and yet people still don't want to get a vaccine which, like most vaccines, just reduce the chances and make it less bad. I know you have had the vaccine, which is good and probebly the reason why it's not as bad as it could be, but yes, even if you don't have it, it can depend on how much of the virus you get etc..

Anyway, you might end up with some long term effects, alot of virus' can do that, and leave your system waker, but atleast it's getting better and your doing well.

Peter Gray said...

sorry you had it quite bad...when we both had covid this year...the irony when there was an awful smell in our area Carol was sooo pleased she could smell again...hope the two senses come back soon... thinking of you and praying for you and also for your work..

The Blog of Curious Callum said...

Get well soon...

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks for the good wishes, friends. Yeah, it's really knocked the stuffing out of me. I put the bin out today and was exhausted! Doesn't help that I have other health issues at the moment. Ah well, take each day at a time I guess.

Anonymous said...

Hope you're back to your best soon Lew! 👍

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks. I hope so too. Not focusing as well as I was.

Mj said...

Get well soon

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Mj.

Ian M said...

Lew, really sorry for the late response, been out of things for a while here. Some people seem to be thinking that covid is all over, a point Manic Man alluded to earlier. Hope things are getting better for you, take it easy as you recover.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Ian. Getting a bit better every day I think. Went for a 2 mile walk yesterday but then was exhausted when I got home and slept for two hours. Have other health issues going on so that hasn't helped.