Friday 22 January 2021

Introducing OINK! in 1986...

I'd completely forgotten about this article I wrote back in 1986 to promote the then-new Oink! comic. Thanks to David Hathaway-Price for the reminder. The article appeared in the fanzine Fantasy Advertiser No.96 in May 1986. At the time I was contributing a regular article on Brirish comics every issue, either covering news of new comics, talking about old ones, or interviewing people such as Mike Higgs and Kevin O'Neill. (Actually I think Kev's feature was a guest spot that he wrote himself explaining the work of resizing / redrawing pages for the Titan Comics Nemesis the Warlock mini-series.) 
 
David has archived many of those Fantasy Advertiser issues digitally (with permission) at his website here:

If you want to read my article, click on the image to make it larger.

 

4 comments:

PhilEdBoyce said...

Really enjoyed this Lew! Always interesting to see more of OiNK!'s coverage from the time, with correct information! (The MAD influence and no mention of Viz for example.) Would you mind if, once the new site is up and running, I could use this in a blog post in the run up to my redo of the comic's read through?

Lew Stringer said...

Absolutely, Phil. I can think of no blog more suited than yours where it should appear.

I'm just sorry I hadn't remembered it earlier when you were doing your original posts.

Yep, no mention of Viz. Oink was never a Viz clone, or even intended to be.

PhilEdBoyce said...

No worries Lew, I'm really looking forward to doing a fresh read through for the 35th anniversary. It'll be a perfect fit!

Lew Stringer said...

35 years? Wow! I hadn't even thought of that. Jeepers. Feels so long ago now and like a different life with all the changes that have happened since.