Thursday 28 January 2021

FUN-TASTIC COMIC

Most of you have heard of Fantastic comic, but did you know about Fun-tastic Comic? This was a one-off produced by Egmont for Eurostar several years ago. I've forgotten the exact date (and there's no year in the indicia) but it'd be around 2005. 

Basically, Eurostar wanted a fun package that their staff could give to kids while they were travelling on Eurostar trains. They contacted Egmont, who put together two slim comics that were bagged with a set of coloured pencils and a pencil sharpener. 

The editor was Claire Mewett, who I'd worked for on Know-How Magazine. She commissioned me to draw a new full colour cover for Fun-tastic Comic featuring several classic comics characters playing football on a beach. A nice opportuinity to draw Frankie Stein, Sweeth Tooth, Fuss Pott, and others!

The comic only had 16 pages (including the cover) and the contents were all black and white reprints such as Stage School, Milly O'Naire and Penny Less, Boy Boss, and others from comics such as Whoopee, Buster, etc. 


Also bagged with the comic was a 16 page A5 item called Fun-tastic Puzzles. I was asked to draw a new cover for this too, and the contents were again all reprint, mostly including selected cartoons and double page spreads I'd done for Know-How Magazine a couple of years previously, such as these...

 
 
 
 
 

These days of course Rebellion own the classic characters such as Frankie Stein, but I think Egmont still own the stuff I did for Know-How. I've never actually met anyone who's seen Fun-tastic so I don't know how long it was available for. I hope it kept passengers entertained though!

5 comments:

Jake N said...

Another outstanding piece of work Lew 🙏

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Jake!

Manic Man said...

Look nice ^_^ always like looking at some of the 'free/limit' stuff.

Lets see.. with that fun-tastic cover..
Sweet tooth, Teacher from Stage School, Frankie Stein, Willie and his Wonder Wellies, That Shakespearian Actor kid from Stage School, Fuss Pot, Boy Boss & Penny Less.

The character reminding me of Billy Wizz and the kid with the boy are both familiar but... pass... did I get them right?

Lew Stringer said...

Well done! The blonde character in the purple jumper is from 'Oh Brother!'. The black kid is Cyril from Team Mates. (In the Team Mates strips that Tom Paterson drew he wore a Rasta hat but Egmont felt it was racist so I had to redraw it as an ordinary bobble hat!) The ginger haired lad at the back is Richie Wraggs.

All the characters appeared inside in various reprints.

Unknown said...

Wish I could find this