Thursday 24 June 2021

Happy Birthday to Sonic the Hedgehog!

Apparently it's the 30th Anniversary of Sonic the Hedgehog! A character that helped pay my mortgage when I was a writer on the official Sonic the Comic during the 1990s. It was a break from my usual stuff to write action-adventure strips and I really enjoyed those years. 

Pictured here with writer Nigel Kitching, artists Richard Elson and the late Nigel Dobbyn, and in the other photo with my editor Deborah Tate. Thanks also to the comic's original editor Richard Burton for bringing me on board back then. 

Also shown is one of my scripts and a panel from a story I wrote drawn by Nigel Dobbyn. Happy 30th Sonic!

Art by Nigel Dobbyn.


4 comments:

Manic Man said...

It's 30 years.. depending on what you want to accept.. 31 one years since first public appearance (well, first apperance in public was 1990 i can't remember the date of the top of my head, 30 since Sonic 1 on the megadrive in Europe, 30 and 1 day for the US, and got another month to go for 30 in Japan.. so.. yeah, depends on how you want to take things.

you did good work with STC

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Ryan!

KSach said...

I stumbled upon my old STC collection from my childhood today, and I went through it to locate one short story I remember fondly which, as it happens, was written by you and created entirely in rhyme, something I found unique and charming in the series (It's Raining Bananas, STC #112).

After a quick Google search, I found you here and I just wanted to send you a massive thank you for your work with STC. The joy I felt reading and the excitement waiting for the next issue was one of the highlights of my childhood and I simply cannot thank you and the team enough for it.

Lew Stringer said...

Thank you! That's actually one of my favourite stories that I did for STC so I'm pleased you liked it. Andy Prichett did a great job illustrating it. I know some fans hated it but the idea was to do something completely different for a laugh. We always tried to strike a balance with STC so that the comic wouldn't be serious cover to cover.