Wednesday 11 January 2023

Feast or Famine!

Remember I'd said how the past year or two had seen a serious reduction in work and how worrying that was? Things were looking very grim indeed and frankly it felt like the end of the road. 

Well, I'm very pleased to say that things have suddenly turned around and I now have a lot of work to do over the next several weeks. Nothing ongoing, except for my regular Daft Dimension strip, but rather lots of one-offs and private commissions to keep me busy through February at least. (I can't specify what the jobs feature yet for copyright reasons but I'll show some extracts eventually.)

I'm not out of the woods yet of course as it could all dry up again by March but as I'd told you how bad things were I thought I'd relate how things have picked up somewhat. 

This is my 40th year in the comics industry and it's always been up and down, just as it is for everyone, but recent times have been worse than before. You soon learn never to take things for granted in this business, (or indeed any self-employed profession). 

It's definitely a "feast or famine" profession... and speaking of which, as I've managed to lose four stone over the past year or two I've certainly no desire to over-indulge in any "feasts" again but as long as I can keep solvent I'll be happy. (Reading that back I think my virus made me screw up the metaphor I was trying for but ah well, you get the jist I think. :))

(Presently still very much under the weather due to a persistent bug - NOT Covid this time - but will get back to the drawing board today!) 

******************************************* 

4 comments:

Manic Man said...

Ah the life of a freelancer ^_^
Good you got some work lined up and keeps you going for a bit longer

Elliesdad said...

As they say Lew - “make hay while the sun shines”. 😎
Cheers,
Geoff

PhilEdBoyce said...

This is all great news Lew, very happy to hear you've plenty on and I look forward to seeing what they are. So no plates full of mash and sausages then?

Lew Stringer said...

Nooo. I've been healthy eating since June of last year. Funnily enough I don't miss snacks, biscuits, chocolate etc at all.