Friday 10 January 2020

Something from the past for the future

Once upon a time, long long ago, in 1991 to be precise, there was going to be a brand new Fleetway humour comic called Oh No!! A trial issue was printed, not for general release but for a select audience of kids. It tested very well with the target group, and it was all systems go for contributors to start work on the regular issue. Oh No!! was fresh, different, and funny, and we were sure it'd work.

Then things went wrong. Badly wrong. Like a divergence in the timeline type of wrong. Egmont took over the company and put a sudden halt to it. They preferred licenced titles connected to toys and TV shows, not all-new originated comics. 

Those of us who were geared up to work on Oh No!! felt crushed. However, one of the important things about Oh No!! is that the strips would be creator-owned, not owned by the publisher. 

Guess what I found amongst my old artwork recently? Two uncompleted pages of the strip I was going to do for Oh No!! No.1. Lance Boyle, Secret Agent! 

The story is all pencilled and lettered. I just need to ink it. One of these days I'll find the time to do that, and this strip from 1992 will finally see print. Perhaps I'll use it as a back up in Combat Colin or in another self-published venture. 
I did do a Lance Boyle strip for the back page of the Oh No!! trial issue (and you can see that here) but I felt that this two-pager was a better depiction of the character. I might actually change his name, as Lance Boyle sounds more like a doctor than a secret agent. We'll see. Interested in seeing the finished result one day? Let me know! 

•••••••••••••••••

8 comments:

Peter Gray said...

1992 was not a good year for comics...lots of comic work dried up...But ironically DC Thomson were doing well..

Lew Stringer said...

Things picked up though, with all the Viz imitators such as Spit, UT, C'Mon Ref etc and things like Sonic the Comic. The work was out there if people adapted to suit, rather than some who claimed the end of Whizzer & Chips etc ended their careers.

Anonymous said...

Was this for IPC?

Lew Stringer said...

No, for Fleetway. Bear in mind that IPC sold the comics line to Robert Maxwell in 1987 and he set up the new Fleetway Publications imprint. IPC carried on publishing magazines such as NME though.

qamar said...

As a graphic designer the space inbetween "L" and "ance" annoys me!

just joking Lew :)

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, I agree. At the time I thought it looked ok but I wouldn't use that now.

Anonymous said...

I've never heard anyone say that the end of Whizzer and Chips etc ended their careers. Could you elaborate.

Lew Stringer said...

Some guy on Facebook and Twitter keeps telling people he was a regular contributor to those comics (he wasn't) until they ended. Any artists with any talent moved on to other comics or into children's books etc.