Saturday 4 April 2015

Tom Thug's Easter Adventure (1991)

Here's the Tom Thug page I did for the Easter issue of Buster 24 years ago! (Issue dated 30th March 1991). Script, art, colouring, logo design and sound effects by me, dialogue lettering by Jack Potter. 

Pink is way too dominant a colour on this page but the idea was that Tom's Mum (who always wore pink) would be the one to have chosen the bedroom decor and it'd be funny that Tom's Dad, an unsophisticated brutish thug, slept in a bedroom with pink sheets, pink wallpaper, and a pink wardrobe unit. I should have used a much lighter pink for the background though. It's all a bit too heavy and the brush strokes too visible.

I drew that page back in the days when I used coloured inks, years before I had a computer. I prefer colouring with Photoshop far more than I ever did using a brush. Computer colouring is ideal for revising the colours before settling on the finished result, and I feel it suits my style better. 

Anyway, I hope you like this old page, despite its garishly clashing colours. Happy Easter!  

4 comments:

Bruce Laing said...

Happy Easter, Lew. :D

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Bruce. Have a good weekend.

Peter Gray said...

Maybe if the bedroom had more flower pattens..I like owning my painted TomThug you have good control with the brush...
Happy Easter and enjoy seeing friends when you do..Bank Holiday Monday should be sunny!!!.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Peter. I'm not doing anything special. It's just another weekend. Hope you're having a good one anyway.