Tuesday 26 May 2020

Happy 60th, Buster!

Advert for BUSTER NO.1 from the DAILY MIRROR, 23rd May 1960.
It slipped my mind but it was the 60th anniversary of Buster comic the other day! Launched on 23rd May 1960, Buster was the first of Fleetway's new style 1960s comics. It heralded a more modern style of British weekly, moving away from the artistic styles of the long defunct titles such as Comic Cuts and Funny Wonder. He was billed as the "Son of Andy Capp" in those days when they shared the same publisher, but that was soon dropped and there's no connection between the two characters today.

Buster ran for almost 40 years, ending in December 1999. 

As this is my personal blog I thought I'd write some personal remembrances about it. I'd been a reader of Buster in the 1960s, becoming a regular reader in 1969 as it seemed to be the closest thing to the much-missed Power Comics, with its balance of humour and adventure strips.

I was privileged to be one of the numerous artists/writers that contributed to the comic in its later years. I came on board in 1988, when Oink! merged into Buster, bringing with me my characters Tom Thug and Pete and his Pimple.  
One of the covers I did for BUSTER. Colours by John Burns.
Tom Thug proved to be the most popular of those two, and gave the more established characters a run for their money too, as explained in this letter I received from the editor... 
 
After his two year run in Oink!, Tom Thug ran for another eight years in Buster before the comic went all-reprint in 1996. Then reprints of Tom Thug continued until the final issue in 1999, so the character was in print consistently for thirteen years, ten years of which were new material (over 400 episodes, all written and drawn by me).

Buster was an excellent comic to contribute to in the 20th Century, so I was over the moon to be invited back as an artist on the recent all-new Cor!! Buster Specials and drawing the Buster strip itself (and also the Gums strip this year.)
Page 1 of the new Buster and Delbert. Script by John Freeman, art by Lew Stringer.
  

Page 1 of the new Gums strip. Script by Lizzie Boyle, art by Lew Stringer.
I'm pleased that, for Buster's 60th anniverary, there is currently a new Buster title on the stands... and if you have difficulty finding it during the lockdown you can order it directly from the publisher at this link:
https://treasuryofbritishcomics.com/catalogue/RCS2052

Happy 60th, Buster! Now you're back, let's hope you stick around for a long time to come!  


**************************

2 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

I loved the "Buster" as a kid when it had a mix of adventure and humour and even the latter issues when I would pick them up when it was all humour were still pretty good I was really surprised when it ended as for me it looked a great quality package of characters and great artwork - must have been a thrill seeing your work on the cover of such an iconic comic - and of course to people of a certain age you are now an iconic creator.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Paul. Yes, it was defnitely a thrill to be on the cover of a few issues. That feeling never goes away and I still feel excited and privileged to see my work in print. It's a bit strange when I see myself referred to as a "veteran" but it's always well intended.