Tuesday 6 November 2018

Still working on it!

There seems to be a theme running through my life.

I'm not unique in this regard of course. Most people I know in the arts and entertainment fields have had their particular passions since they were small children. You have to follow your dream. If you're lucky, as well as talented, you'll be able to make a living out of it. Professionally, the best thing I ever did was to quit my dead end job in 1980 and focus on what I always wanted to do; create comics! It took a few years to sell my first cartoons but once I did, other editors had confidence in me, and the more work I had, the more I could develop my skills. That was 35 years ago and I've been working ever since.

If you have an ambition, and a realistic ability to pursue it, you have to go for it. Life's too short not to. And when you do make it, be confident but never cocky, because I've seen a few people fail in this business because of their own arrogance. The comic industry is relatively small and doesn't suffer fools gladly. We're all learning every day, and the most important lesson is to be grateful for how lucky we are to be working in a career we love. 

Good luck!


No comments: