Sunday 27 November 2016

Remembering my grandad

Grandad in his railway uniform, 1939.
On this day 125 years ago, my grandfather William Bakewell was born, in Leicester in 1891. He had a very hard start in life, orphaned by the age of 5 he was put into a boys home in Desford where life was very strict. When he left the school (at age 14 I think) he earned his keep by working as a farm hand on various farms around the Midlands.
He eventually settled in Nuneaton, finding regular work looking after the horses that did the deliveries for the local railway. It was in Nuneaton where he met and married my grandmother in 1920. Tragically, their first child, also called William, died as a baby on Christmas Eve, but they went on to have two more children, my mum, and my Aunt Joan.
Grandad and grandma, late 1930s.
Grandad was in the ARP during WW2 and continued to work for the railway until he retired, working on the capstan after the horse-drawn deliveries were replaced by lorries. He and his family lived in the houses rented from the railway (specifically for railwaymen) in Bond Gate, where the road to Asda is now, near the station. Those houses were set for demolition in 1957 so they had to move. My grandmother had died in 1952, and my grandad never remarried.
Grandad, Grandma, Aunt Joan, Mum, Blackpool 1946.

By the time I was born in 1959, my parents were living with my grandad and Aunt Joan (plus two cats and a dog) in a three up, two down council house. We were a small, close family, which is why I still miss them all today. (My parents and I moved to our own council house nearby in 1963, and I bought my own house years later.)
Giving me a ride in his wheelbarrow, 1961.
As you can see from the photos, my grandad looked like a traditional grandad of the times. He was the best grandad I could have wished for, and used to take me long walks with the dogs on Sunday mornings and was good company. There's a comics connection too, as I remember him telling me how he used to read Illustrated Chips that was shared around the boys' home in the 1900s. (His favourite characters were Weary Willie and Tired Tim.) He also bought the occasional Andy Capp book for himself when he was older.

With all the pets, 1966.
When I started making up my own comics when I was 7, they were mostly about my grandad and family pets. Here's one of my first crude efforts from early 1968...
My grandad was a good, kind, honest, hardworking man with old values who inspired his family to be likewise. He passed away in 1980, but I still remember him well so I wanted to post this tribute to him today.
Grandad and me, Christmas Day 1979.

6 comments:

John Pitt said...

What a lovely post, Lew!

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks, John! I won't make a habit of posting personal stuff on this blog but my grandad had an interesting and hard life and as I'm the only person who remembers him now I thought I'd post a tribute to him.

John Pitt said...

A lot of similarities with my own Grandad - hard life, gardening, pets, flat cap, Daily Mirror, etc. I used to spend many a childhood weekend at my Grandparents, as well as my annual fortnightly holiday. I would read all the cartoons in their papers and magazines as well as many, many comics at their house.
Lovely, happy times and memories.
Anyway, no harm in a little self-indulgence now and again. Stories like that do connect with us!

Lew Stringer said...

Grandparents look so young these days. Heck, some of my mates I've known since school are grandparents now. It's a different world.

John Pitt said...

Hey, I've been a grandad since '97! BTW, my grandad was also a William, as was their younger son, ( my mother's brother ) and my dear Uncle Bill, who I still speak with on the phone, reminiscing about old times, upon his demob from his national service, used to buy me a bundle of one of every single UK comic every Saturday, wrapped up in brown paper and tied with string, which he used to toss at me at my Grandparents, when he came home from work around 1 pm.
This is what started my lifelong love of comics.
Anyway, enough of my ramblings!

Lew Stringer said...

Sorry for the delay in posting your comment, John. I've only just noticed it! Thanks for sharing your memories.