Sunday 21 June 2015

A drawing of me, by my Dad (1971)

As it's Father's Day I thought I'd share something that's quite special to me. It's a drawing my dad did of me for our amusement one evening in 1971 when I was 12 years old. I was always drawing and making my own comics right from childhood and this shows me at work with my 'tools of the trade' and a cup of Nu-Choc to keep me going. (I should mention that the cigarette lighter and ashtray were my dads.) This was around March or April but I was using parts of Christmas cards for some design elements in the comic. 

My dad wasn't an artist but he liked to doodle now and then. He passed away in 1974 so he never saw me become a professional cartoonist but I think he'd have been pleased.

To this very day I still use the pencil box that's shown in the drawing.
Below: My dad and me at Blackpool in 1962.

No comments: