Monday 30 November 2020

SHOUTY cover from roughs to finished job


I took some photos while I was drawing the wraparound variant cover to The77 No.4 so I thought you might like to see the process. I still draw "traditionally" with pencil and pen on Bristol Board, and then scan the black and white art into Photoshop to colour it. 

It was the editor Ben Cullis and his team who suggested the idea of a winter theme cover of some sort, akin to the traditional annuals, featuring Sgt.Shouty and other characters from the comic in some situation. As The77 is partly inspired by the gritty comics of the 1970s I thought it'd be good to have them fighting evil snowmen, with decapitations and, well, not bloodshed but snow-shed! (I've always been of the belief that an action scene can work just as well drawn in a cartoony style. Something that's the norm in European comics but not so much in the UK.)

Anyway, to go through the process, here's my initial (very) rough sketch that I sent for editorial approval... 


After approval I set to work penciling it out. If it was a comic strip I'd start from left to right of course but in this case I started on the left because that'll be the front cover of the wraparound, and therefore the main point of focus...


Finishing the pencils...

 

More pencils...


Starting the inks, this time beginning from the left so I don't smudge anything!


Finished inks. You'll notice I added another figure at the back as I'd forgotten to add him in the original sketches!


Finally, the completed job after I'd coloured it in Photoshop...


The Kickstarter for The77 No.4 went live on Friday night and reached its goal in four hours! It's still running until December 13th though so you can still pledge to make sure of getting the issue! Details here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the77comic/the77-4

If you missed the first three issues you can buy them from GetMyComics here:

https://getmycomics.com/The77 


3 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Great cover Lew

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Paul! Hope all's well.

McSCOTTY said...

Decided to buy my first 77 based on your cover. Were fine thank you hope your doing well. Incidentally started reading your Twitter excellent stuff