Friday 4 December 2020

Burning the Midnight Oil

 

I'm pleased to say that my run on Ellis's Great Escapes will now continue beyond the Christmas issue of the Beano. I'm not sure for how long, but I've been commissioned to do seven so far. 

They're needed fairly urgently so I've been working crazy hours recently. Bear in mind that I write my own material so there are deadlines for scripts as well as art deadlines, all to be done over the next few weeks. Two are drawn, and I've just sent off two more scripts, and I'm currently drawing the third as the deadline is today. It's currently 3.22 A.M. and I estimate I'll be working on this until at least 6 A.M.

Not that I'm complaining! Finances have been very tight this year due to effects of the pandemic. Bills and the cost of living are still eating into my dwindling savings but steady work such as a weekly Beano strip really helps.  

This weekend I'll also be drawing the Sgt.Shouty page for The77. Deadline for that is Monday. Then I'll be cracking straight on with more Ellis strips plus another project I've had on the drawing board for some time. After that I have a job to do for another publisher that won't see print until next year.

I'm also finishing the latest ideas for The Daft Dimension this weekend for the January issue of Doctor Who Magazine, and that needs to be drawn next week too. 

Freelancing tends to be "all or nothing" but I appreciate the work and try not to turn any down if I can help it. To coin an increasingly annoying cliché, "these are uncertain times" and most of us are struggling mentally and financially these days. I count myself as one of the fortunate ones because I paid off my mortgage five years ago and have no family to worry about so it's just me taking one day at a time. That's my philosophy these days; don't dwell on the future. Take it steady and deal with each day as it comes. 

I do worry about friends though, especially ones who I know are having a tough time right now. For what it's worth, my thoughts are with you and I hope we'll start to see brighter days ahead in 2021. 

Right... back to the drawing board...

UPDATE 9/12/20: Just been informed that Ellis will only be used as a fill-in now unfortunately. So it goes.


5 comments:

Manic Man said...

Good to have work a lot of work and something to do ^_^
and I think the correct term is "Interesting times"

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks. I was talking about the over-used phrase heard in the media this year.

SID said...

Hi, Lew. Am glad that you are busy at the moment. Long may it continue.

Fingers crossed that things do improve next year.

Manic Man said...

^_^ I don't pay attention to much news as they mostly are just editorials as they are so pushed towards one side then the news as it is.. also watching the news too much is a pretty bad idea..

besides, no Global link News these days..

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks SID!