Friday 1 January 2021

What's Next?


It's the dawn of a New Year, and with the pandemic and the insanity of Brexit it's a year that brings more unpredicablity and instability than ever. There's hope on the horizon in the form of vaccines but it's going to take many months before most of us receive it. 

On a personal level I'm entering 2021 with some apprehension like we all are, and, like many of us, I'm hoping I can keep afloat financially.

I have a few strips to draw this month, but there's a lot of uncertainty after then, and of course January is an expensive month for the self employed, with tax payments and paying the accountant. I'll feel more upbeat if I can survive to March but as we all know 2020 was a bad year, and its demoralising effects aren't easy to shrug off. 

Another matter is whether or not the comics industry itself can survive the effects of lockdowns and Brexit. My thoughts go out to comic shop owners who have been forced to close due to not being "essential" businesses. Sure, there'll always be lots of indie comics being produced by mail order, and that's great for small press creatives who don't rely on comics as their sole source of income, but it's the survival of mainstream comics that many of us depend on. 

I have a few ideas which I won't go into now because I don't want to jinx anything. Too many times in the past I've revealed my plans in advance and it hasn't worked out, so from now on I'll post about them when they're definite. I hope you'll keep following this blog for news on any future projects of mine. I wish I could post something more upbeat right now but thanks for your interest and support so far, and let's hope 2021 yields some good results for all of us.

5 comments:

Mj said...

All the best Lew. Good luck with everything.

Search Engine Evader said...

Many thanks for all the posts over the past year Lew, and good luck in 2021.

Fingers crossed that the end of the pandemic is in sight.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks folks.

I fear the pandemic won't be over while so many idiots deny it exists. If everyone followed the regulations we'd get through it quicker... and the government needs to keep schools and universities closed to prevent more infection.

Steve said...

Belated best wishes for the year ahead Lew and thanks for all the blogging, especially the odd ‘Blimey’ style retrospectives over 2020.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Steve. All the best for '21.