Wednesday 3 July 2019

Sometimes it doesn't work out

One thing that's important to remember in this business is that sometimes projects are cancelled before they see print. You may remember I mentioned in a previous post that I was drawing something new that'd appear this week? Sadly it didn't work out and the client changed their mind, so it will never see the light of day now.

So it goes. There's no hard feelings and I'll be paid for what I did so that's a relief at least. Out of professional courtesy I won't go into detail about what it would have been but it was an interesting thing to work on, and for a publication I'd never worked for before, and with a writer I'd never worked with before... but I hope I'll work with them again one day. 

So if you're new to the business, don't lose heart if something you've worked on is axed before publication. It can happen to anyone. Just make sure you get paid, and press on with the next job! A glass half full attitude is the only way to keep sane in this industry!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it for VIZ Lew? Your style would fit right in there.

Lew Stringer said...

I freelanced for Viz for about 17 years. This wasn't for them. No point in trying to guess as I've already said I'm not revealing any more about it. The point of my post was to let any new creators know that these things happen and not to get discouraged by it.

Robert Carnegie said...

And - importantly - you got paid. (New creators may not have expected this consolation. Or not much of a consolation...)

And people you work with know that you aren't telling tales, but maybe also that you have some material on hand that could be re-scripted quickly for, say, a "Doctor Who Magazine" strip... unless that's what it was. (Don't say. If we keep guessing, someone will hit it, it happened to Rumpelstiltskin... well, strictly, it didn't.)

Lew Stringer said...

As I said, it was for a publication I've never worked for before, so, no, not Doctor Who Magazine, where my work appears every month.

It was a licensed strip, and I didn't write it, only drew it, so I couldn't re-use it anywhere else. Still, I should get paid so it wasn't a totally wasted week.