Tuesday 24 April 2018

The Summer of '76

1976, age 17, Trafalgar Square, hair and flares.
People say "time flies", but this really does feel like all of its 42 years ago. This was the day I first visited a comic shop (Dark They Were And Golden Eyed, which was then in Berwick Street), and bought a load of comics fanzines which re-ignited my childhood ambitions to work in comics!

It'd take several years before I sold my first cartoon (in 1983, to Marvel UK) but all that time gave me valuable experience, producing fanzine strips, getting feedback and advice, quitting my old job, making new friends in comics, both fans and pros, etc. Happy days from long, long ago!
Summer of '76. Reading Jack Kirby's 2001: A Space Odyssey adaptation.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that your 2001 photo is remarkably similar to Arthur C. Clarke’s 2010 cameo. Both posed in front of seats of government! http://www.coseti.org/whitehs1.htm

Lew Stringer said...

I never knew that! What a strange coincidence! Thanks, Pat.

Lew Stringer said...

....although that's Westminster Abbey, not the Houses of Parliament, but it's still representative of power.

Unknown said...

Oh yes, of course it is! I will now pretend that I was trying to make a more subtle point, and it wasn’t just that I didn’t look carefully. 🤓

Manic Man said...

Main problem with Kirby's version of 2001 was.. he didn't seam to understand it.. but then, it did confuse a lot of people.. even now the 4 books have been done (the fourth is really the worst.. not really any plot till the last quarter), people still completely misunderstand a lot.. Still a good book series and the 2 films were good.. even with the big differences in the second.

anyway.. good images and I'm sure good memories