Sunday 1 September 2024

45 Year Flashback: Comicon '79

On this day in 1979 (September 1st), I attended my first comics convention, Comicon '79 at the NEC in Birmingham. I was only doing fanzines back then and didn't know anyone who worked in comics but the first comics pro I ever had a conversation with was Jim Steranko. He gave me encouragement and signed a copy of The Illustrated Harlan Ellison that I'd just bought, which Steranko had contributed to. 

That weekend still sticks in my mind and I posted about it on this blog five years ago. Rather than repeat that post, here's the link where you'll find it:

https://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com/2019/09/comicon-1979-40-years-on.html

Bitten by the convention bug I'd attend them every year from then on, and as a guest from 1984 onwards. I've met so many valued friends over the past 45 years and the comics community means a great deal to me. I'm not sure when I'll be at another event depending on health and finances but I hope it's not too long.

Meanwhile here's just a few of the fantastic talented comics creators from over the years that I'm proud to call my friends...



8 comments:

Elliesdad said...

45 years? That just sounds like it was so, so, so long ago - but, if that’s the case, how come I’ve recently retired yet don’t regard myself as (really) old?
Oh well, we all get older one day at a time.
One thing I do know is that way back then in ‘79 I would regularly make pilgrimage to Andromeda Bookshop in Birmingham. Those were the days 😉
I hope you’re keeping well Lew. Cheers,
Geoff

Simon G said...

So who are they in the photos?

Lew Stringer said...

Various comics creators. Too many to list right now though.

Lew Stringer said...

Andromeda was a good shop, Elliesdad. Sadly long gone now.

Simon G said...

Are they all Beano artists?

Lew Stringer said...

Not many of them, Simon. Most of them work for various other comics. I've mentioned them all by name in previous posts about conventions when I've done photo reports.

Tony Howson said...

Always liked that one of you, Laura Howell and Hunt Emerson. It displays an attitude I'd expect from three Beano artists, even though I usually think of Mr Emerson as an underground comix cartoonist - but he did draw Ratz for a while.

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, it's a good photo. I can't remember who took it. Shane Chebsey perhaps.