Thursday 9 July 2020

Flashback to 2010 with SUPER SCHOOL!

Super School was a regular full page strip I drew in The Beano for a while, beginning in 2008. It featured a handful of kids being trained to use their super powers and was great fun to draw! (Iain McLoughlin wrote most of the scripts.) You can read more about the genesis of the strip on my old blog at this link:

Looking on an old disc today I found a few photos that I thought you might be interested in seeing. At the top of this post is part of the published Super School story that appeared in The Beano Annual 2012, and here are some images of it when I was pencilling it...




...and after inking...

This strip would have been drawn ten years ago, in 2010, as we work well in advance for the annuals. The book was published in July 2011, well in time for the Christmas gift market.

Back then I was inking with a dip-nib for a while. A very old and traditional way! I switched to using Japanese brush pens a little later.

As I said, we work well in advance on annuals, and I'm currently drawing new Keyhole Kate pages for The Dandy Annual 2022 to be published next year.

6 comments:

McSCOTTY said...

Wow I feel old I thought that strip appeard about 4 years ago at the most. Nice to see tmyour process and I think Super School still is a great idea Hope your keeping well

Lew Stringer said...

Time flies. Super School last appeared in 2011 so it's been a long while now!

Manic Man said...

nice work and I love some of the background touches like the 'Dennis' Christmas card.

No clue why, but the teacher always reminds me of Super Sir.. I really have no clue why.. maybe generic big chin and short hair? no clue..

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, I see what you mean. Possibly a subconscious influence. I wanted a kind of Baxendale look for the teacher but hadn't specifically thought of Super Sir.

Andrew L said...

Has the smash 2020 comic been out yet. Not seen it in w h Smith sorry not related to your post

Lew Stringer said...

Yes it's been out since May. You won't find it in newsagents. Order it directly from the publisher: https://shop.2000ad.com/catalogue/RCS2053