Wednesday 21 August 2013

Watch-Hog: Pencils and finished art


It's Wednesday so there's a new issue of The Beano in the shops today. Here's a glimpse at my contribution; the fourth Watch-Hog mini-strip. (Only two to go after this one unfortunately.) There's how it looked when it was in the blue pencil stage on my desk (above) and below is how it looked after I'd inked it with UniPin fineline pens and coloured it in Photoshop, ready for the lettering to be added after I e-mailed it to Beano HQ.



Never Be Without A Beano! Out now, with free Roger the Dodger and Walter Turbo Battlerz figures.

6 comments:

Peter Gray said...

Will you have more work to do for the Beano when Watch Hog ends...I jope so..

Lew Stringer said...

I hope so too. There's a Pranks page I drew that they'll publish soon, and I have two more to draw. I'm currently prioritizing drawing pages for the 2015 dated annuals but beyond that, nothing as yet.

Tiniebras said...

Love the Pup Parade dogs, I almost prefered them to the bash street kids when I was younger. A quick question if I may. If you ink the art with finline pens, how come the lines look so nice and thick in the finished strip? I assumed that when you shrunk it down the lines should look even finer. Oh, and the other question, any plans on selling this art at some point? :)

Lew Stringer said...

Although they're called fineline pens they come in a range of thicknesses. Also, I thicken up some lines deliberately to give them a sense of weight or so characters in the foreground stand out more.

I'm not selling any of my Beano or Dandy artwork but I do sell my older material from IPC, Viz, etc.

Alec Dever said...

Fantastic work!
Have you been looking at the new Dennis the Menace cartoon?
:D

Lew Stringer said...

No, I don't watch children's TV unless I need to for reference. For the little amount of Dennis work I've done I've found the comics the best source material.