Wednesday 14 August 2013

New Derek the Troll: sneak peek


The other day I showed a panel from the new Derek the Troll page in progress. Now here's a section of the completed page. The finished job was sent to Jonathan Green the other day and it'll appear in his forthcoming book You Are the Hero: A History of Fighting Fantasy Gamebooks

I really enjoyed bringing back ol' Derek for this one-off job. It felt comfortable drawing him again, even though it's been nearly 30 years since he last appeared in a strip. For consistency, I used the original logo as a header for the page, which I'd created back in 1986 when the strip ran in Warlock magazine.

For news on when the book will appear, keep an eye on Jonathan's blog here:
http://www.youarethehero.co.uk 

5 comments:

zhu bajiee said...

I feel the need to respond in the style of a Warlock letters page...

Welcome back Derek! It's good to see the old troll still knocking about. However, in panel 1 I notice that Derek has 8 strands of hair, yet in panel 2 Derek has only 5. What's going on? Is Dereks hair as magical as his moving nose warts, or has Lew been sitting too close to the non-toxic marker pens again? Do I win a book token for my observations? Warlock is the greatest magazine ever.

Zhu, aged 40

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Zhu. What actually happened was that the shock of those people appearing in panel two made three strands of Derek's hair fly off at a speed faster than I could draw. They'll probably turn up in another panel, back in place as if butter wouldn't melt in their mouths. If they had mouths.

redshadows said...

Hi Lew,

Hope you don't mind, but i got inspired by your Derek the troll strip and had a go at sculpting one.

Zhu said I should show you :-)

He's about 25mm tall.

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?PHPSESSID=ed79ca1dbcc98d5a879d097339315f19&topic=57739.0


Thanks
George

Lew Stringer said...

That's fantastic, George!

David Wood said...

Hi Lew,

George passed the sculpt on to me as I am an old lead / school addict and I have it cast up just for personal use as I thought it was still copywrite GW - I didn't realise you were still doing him! I've put some pics on my blog http://deartonyblair.blogspot.co.uk/ (non political despite the name!). I should be getting some casts at some point soon so if you contact me I'll pop some in the post for you.

Cheers,

Dave