Thursday 14 March 2024

Meanwhile, in 1986...

Here's a blast from the past from 38 years ago. The advert for UKCAC '86, the United Kingdom Comic Art Convention that took place in September 1986.

I remember this very well. It was only my third time as a guest. I've lost count of the number of conventions I've been to since. Back then, the annual UKCAC event was pretty much the only comic con in the UK so practically everyone in the industry would be there. 

1986 was a great year for comics. Watchmen and The Dark Knight were released, and Oink! had been launched. There was a positive vibe in the air and, as most of us were still relatively young, we were full of fresh ideas and optimism. 

Although comic cons were few and far between back then, many of us would regularly meet up at the Westminster Comic Marts which I think took place every 6 or 8 weeks. They were very happy times and I'm glad I was part of that.

Sadly, several of the names listed in the ad are no longer with us, but they're fondly remembered. The best of times.

************

No comments: