Tuesday 17 October 2023

Ivy the Terrible (2014)

Hard to believe it was nine years ago when I drew a series featuring Ivy the Terrible for The Beano. The character had originally been drawn by Robert Nixon in the 1980s of course, but she was revived a few times over the years and in 2014 I was assigned to draw her. 

I thoroughly enjoyed doing this series, helped immensely by good scripts from John Anderson (and, if memory serves me correctly, Iain McLaughlin and Stu Munro wrote good ones for me too). 

Here are a couple of examples from 2014, both written by John Anderson and drawn/coloured by me. (Click on images to see them full size.) The half page format really suited the character I think; setting the scene, a burst of energy, then the punchline. Timeless comic stuff.

I'll dig out some more examples of my work from over the past 40 years in future posts. What characters would you like to see? Please post a comment below and let me know.

*********************

6 comments:

Peter Gray said...

love the car splashing gag...made me chuckle...

Manic Man said...

I would be interested in seeing some of the Thundercats 'One Cat and His Cod' you did or the football newspaper one you did for a bit, even though not really a football fan myself.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Ryan. I'll see if I can dig them out. Not sure where those issues of the Daily Star are now but I'll have a look when I have time.

Lew Stringer said...

Anyone else? My blog still gets plenty of views but not many people leave comments these days for some reason. I presume you're here because you're familiar with my work, so let me know what examples of my strips you'd like me to post.

Elliesdad said...

I must admit I am especially fond of your various superheroes & villains (when their “powers” are odd/unusual). The fact the strips are invariably funny is an added bonus.
Cheers,
Geoff


Lew Stringer said...

Thanks Geoff. I'll sort out some Captain Wally strips this week to post here.