Friday 7 May 2021

Combat Colin: from board to screen

 

For this sunny Friday I thought you might like to see how the first page of the latest Combat Colin story looked when it was on my drawing board, partially done. This was taken on Thursday 22nd April at 9.30 at night. I finished this and the other two pages of the story the next day, scanned it into Photoshop, and coloured it over the weekend.

By the Monday (26th April) all three pages had been completed and was available to the public in Aces Weekly Vol.50 No.7...

That's one of the advantages of online comics. Print comics are drawn between at least four to eight weeks in advance due to the time it takes to print and distribute them, but digital comics can be online minutes after you've drawn them! In the case of Aces Weekly I sent the files to David Lloyd on Sunday evening and it was online the next day. 

To read the rest of the story subscribe to Aces Weekly at the link below, and see it in Vol.50 issue 7...

https://www.acesweekly.co.uk/

Do you like or dislike digital comics? Have you read any of the new online Combat Colin stories? Post your opinions in the comments section below!

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

4 comments:

Manic Man said...

i'm always in two minds about digital comics. Depending on how they are released, you have the problem that you buy something which you can only have access to a long as the company is still going. Its like you can buy some fancy tech which works with a phone application but the moment you haven't got internet access or you update your phone and the software doesn't work, you are left with a huge lump of nothing.

on the other side, you can zoom much better, don't need to worry as much about storage or major damage/wear and tear, also i have friends who ran the own comic company for a few years, and while they got stuff in the high street, it always turned out to be a problem and not having the space to store tons of issues in stock, and since they moved to digital release, they can make the comics a bit cheaper, they get more money cause less overheads and don't have to worry a much about various restrictions and issues with getting comics out there.

then there is also the side of while the B&W did mean alot of cheap very bad comics came out, it takes a certain amount of effort and commitment to produce a physical comic, while it's far easier to produce a digital one (of course, this can depend on a number of factors but that is about partly if it's any good or not but still). and there is how it can be different and sometimes not as good to read a comic or book via a digital screen, compared to physical paper.. I can have a book which I can read anytime, any place.. where a digital copy needs to have a charged device for a start..

I think for a number of reasons, digital CAN have the edge with more pros over cons but.. depending on things.. how happy I am to buy one copy over another..

Kal said...

I adore digital comics. Mainly because it makes reading them feel like I'm on Star Trek or something.

Unless it's magazine sized or perfect bound, it's very, very rare for me to buy a physical copy of a single issue.

russ sheath said...

I’m a huge convert to digital comics - colours look fantastic and I’ve duplicated a good number of my physical books with digital copies - perfect for travelling too.

Lew Stringer said...

Yep, I agree with you Ryan. I'd prefer digital comics that can be downloaded (like the Barmy Comix I did) rather than ones that you can only access online.

Thanks Kal, Russ. Must admit I still prefer print, but I appreciate that a lot of people do like digital. Storage is definitely becoming an issue after 54 years of collecting! I have a sort out every ten years or so, and am in the process of one now, but there's a LOT of comics/books I'll still hold onto.