Monday 14 October 2019

London and comics

I was in London last weekend and exited the tube at Blackfriars, so I couldn't resist taking this shot of Kings Reach Tower which is over on the South Bank. Many of you will know that this tall structure was once the home of IPC Magazines, publisher of Buster, 2000AD, Whizzer and Chips, Tiger, and many other comics. 

It brought back memories of one day in late 1985, trudging over Blackfriars Bridge in the pouring rain. I'd just been told at the time by Marvel UK that my Captain Wally and Snailman strips were ending in Spider-Man Comic, so I set out over the river to see if IPC could offer me anything. The comics offices were on the 25th floor if I remember correctly. Perhaps group editor Bob Paynter took pity on me looking like a drowned rat, but he offered me some work on the Whoopee! Annual 1987 writing/drawing a six page Bookworm story. 

I used to visit London a lot back in those days. Not just on business, but also for pleasure, as there were the Westminster Comic Marts every other month or so. That's where I'd meet up with Kevin O'Neill, Dave Gibbons, Mick McMahon, Alan Moore, Richard Burton, Robin Smith, and numerous others for a pint in the Westminster Arms, then go for a pizza with them after the mart had finished. Great days. 

Anyway, I was in London last Friday for a party at the pub in the left of this photo to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Doctor Who Magazine. I remember four decades ago and Dez Skinn, the original editor, announcing the imminent launch of Doctor Who Weekly (as it was then) at the 1979 Comic Con at the Metropole Hotel in Birmingham. I never imagined back then that the mag would still be running and I'd be a regular contributor. 

The party was busy although there weren't many other comics people in attendance apart from Dez Skinn, Jamie Lenman, Scott Gray and a few others. However it was good to see people connected with the tv show such as Steven Moffat, Sophie Aldred, Frazer Hines, and Katy Manning and to catch up with writer/reviewer Rob Fairclough who I hadn't seen for many years.

Here's original editor Dez Skinn and current editor Marcus Hearn about to cut the cake...

I'd booked a room for the night in a nearby hotel, so on Saturday I enjoyed having a stroll around the streets of London. I paused at Covent Garden to listen to a talented string quartet called ClassyCool and bought their CD...
Being so close to events in history taking place nearby I couldn't resist talking a walk into the Extinction Rebellion encampment in Trafalgar Square. One of the organisers asked me what I thought about it. I told her it had a nice friendly atmosphere (which it did). "It's not a festival, it's a protest!" she replied. I understood that, and admire their intentions but I can't help feeling that their actions will only harm small businesses already struggling, while the megacorp billionaires will carry on regardless. 

I wouldn't want to live there but I do like London, although I rarely visit these days. Hopefully I'll make it down there more often in 2020!

The 40th anniversary issue of Doctor Who Magazine (issue 544) will be in WH Smiths, supermarkets, and comic shops on Thursday 17th October. I have a full page strip in this one. Here's a sneak peek...


...and here's the polybag sleeve to look out for on the shelves...

Greetings from soggy London! 


No comments: