Monday 18 March 2019

Number Six (and his Unmutual Tricks)

Back in 1996 I created this page for a fanzine devoted to The Prisoner TV series. The background story to it being that, as The Prisoner never had its own comic strip in the 1960s, I was speculating as to how it might have been adapted as a humour strip. Unlikely of course, but it was fun to do!

Sadly, the "Be Seeing You" sign that Number Six used in the series (shown in the title panel) has very unwelcome fascist similarities today. Just thought I'd better mention that before some moron thinks it supports those white supremacist idiots! 

The original art is owned by the commissioning editor so this is just a photograph but I might redraw it one day. For now though, seen for the first time outside of that fanzine's readership, here's Number Six and his Unmutual Tricks! (If you're not familiar with the old Prisoner TV show the humour might be lost to you, so apologies for that, but hopefully there's enough of you to "get" it.) 

I haven't been involved with Prisoner fandom for years but if you're a fan of the show (and of Portmeirion, the village in Wales where it was filmed) I recommend The Unmutual website. It's a hive of information!
https://www.theunmutual.co.uk




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that, Lew, and the likeness of Leo McKern is uncanny.

Lew Stringer said...

Thanks, John. I usually avoid doing caricatures as they're not my best point but some people are easier than others.

Peter Gray said...

Love the expelled joke! The comic art of Lew stringer...book of the future...you've done so many strips and odds and ends...

Lew Stringer said...

Thirty five years worth! :) Thing is, I don't own the rights to a lot of the stuff (Beano, Buster, etc) so I'm already publishing reprints of the strips I do own (Brickman, Combat Colin, etc). Maybe one day though, but I doubt it'll happen.